BLACKSBURG, Va. — Virginia Tech honored coach Frank Beamer before Saturday’s season-opener against Appalachian State, then announced at halftime that he is signed a contract extension to keep him in charge of the Hokies program through 2016.
The contract extension comes after he and the school opened negotiations in August 2010. Terms were not released, but the school stated athletic director Jim Weaver would discuss details of the contract Tuesday.
The game marked the begin of Beamer’s 25th season as the coach at his alma mater. A brief video was shown on the video board, and Beamer was presented with a painting of himself by school President Charles Steger and Weaver.
Beamer is 240-118-4 overall and 198-95-2 with the Hokies. Only Penn State’s Joe Paterno, with 401 victories, has won more games among active Division 1 coaches. Beamer also is second to Paterno in bowl appearances with 18. Paterno has 37.
The No. 13 Hokies are the only team in the nation to have won at least 10 games in each of the last seven seasons.
The 18 bowl appearances have come in consecutive seasons.
- LATIN AMERICA: Sustainable Development, Not 'Green Economy'
- Sotomayor tells how she deals with diabetes
- Corbett proposes two-year budget cycle, other changes to cut costs
- Street Vendors Defend Right to Make a Living in San Salvador
- Focus on final body in Egypt church attack
- 'Barefoot Bandit' cuts deal for movie
- U.S.: Obama Requests Slightly Higher Aid Levels for 2013
- Egyptians design 'faster, cheaper' hepatitis C test
- Online casino to learn very best on the internet twenty-one and reduce seems to lose
- Death toll from Mexico pipeline blast rises to 28
Submited at Sunday, September 4th, 2011 at 1:00 am on Sports by fenny
Comment RSS 2.0 - leave a comment - trackback