Vincenzo Pinto / Pool via Reuters
Pope Benedict XVI, whose red loafers attracted attention from the fashion world, has commissioned his own eau de cologne.
At 84, Pope Benedict XVI has proven to be a spiffy dresser. He wears cherry red loafers that landed him in the pages of Esquire magazine as the “accessorizer of the year,” he’s been spotted wearing sunglasses by Gucci and been outfitted by the Italian fashion house, Belstaff. Now, according to the Guardian, il Papa has commissioned his own brand of eau de cologne, a scent that only he may wear.
The fragrance is a combination of lime tree, verbena and grass and was created by Silvana Casoli, an Italian nose, as perfume makers are called, who has created scents for Sarah Jessica Parker, Katy Perry, Madonna and Sting.
Casoli also made scents for priests who embarked on the pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela in Spain – the perfumes, named Water of Faith and Water of Hope, were so beloved by the pilgrims that they presented samples to their pope, the Guardian reported.
Casoli made a secret pact with the pope and refused to release further details about the ingredients but she did reveal that as she tried to come up with the perfect concoction, she thought of nature and the pope’s love of the forests.
“I realized that an essence like this had to have at its core something pure and clean, recalling the idea of peace,” Casoli told Il Messagero newspaper. “I thought of the smells the Pope would smell when praying at the Grotto of Lourdes.”
She did not, however, divulge what the cologne would be called.
More from msnbc.com and NBC News:
Follow us on Twitter: @msnbc_world
- Breakthrough malaria vaccine tantalizingly close
- Egyptian Billionaire Naguib Sawiris Faces Trial For Insulting Islam
- Lessons Learned from Years with Medicines
- fuesen rescuing all of the Basketball in a powerful uneventful trade payment date. Capture LM OteroAP Finder Feels In a very eventf.
- Military planes flying in Australia flood relief
- Libya rebels seize Brega, close in on Tripoli
- Obama: drug abuse requires broader policy response
- Pennsylvania thinks about giving voters more state on school budgets
- Discovering The Truth About Cleaning
- Lindsay Lohan reports for morgue clean-up duty
Submited at Thursday, March 15th, 2012 at 5:00 am on World News by Shelton
Comment RSS 2.0 - leave a comment - trackback