Not to rile those who still believe the state’s new voter ID law is all about fighting fraud and has nothing to do with depressing the Democratic vote in a General Election year, but…
Gov. Corbett’s appointed Secretary of the Commonwealth, Carol Aichele, who’s department oversee elections, released some numbers mid-afternoon Tuesday before the July 4 holiday (certainly just a coincidence) that might help Democratic claims that the law has more to do with politics than fraud.
The numbers, as reported in the July 4 Inky, say a match-up of voter registration rolls and PennDOT pic ID data shows that 9% of state-wide voters do not have pic IDs.
The secretary initiallly put the number at just 1%.
PennDOT IDs are the most common pic IDs accepted under the new law in order to vote.
The new data shows 758,939 voters could not be matched with PennDOT IDs.
The county-by-county breakdown shows the largest concentration of such voters is in Philly (186,830) and Allegheny County (99,218), both Democratic strongholds.
The total of just these the two counties (286,048) is more than three times the total votes former Democratic Congressman Joe Sestak lost by in his 2010 Senate race against Republican Pat Toomey. Toomey beat Sestak by 80,229 votes.
The just-released numbers include “inactive” voters and those who may have other pic IDs, and the department states it will contact all voters without PennDOT IDs by letter this summer to remind them of the new law.
Still, when coupled with recent remarks by Republican House Leader Mike Turzai that voter ID will “allow” Mitt Romney to carry Pennsylvania this year, the say data seems to bolster claims that fighting fraud is not the only thing the law’s about.
The issue, which is getting national attention, is headed to Commonwealth Court July 25 and, nearly certainly, will end up in the say Supreme Court.
- Duchess of Windsor’s jewels sell for $12.5 million
- JAMAICA: Dying Manufacturing Sector Seeks Govt Cure
- S. African president: Gadhafi ready for truce
- NIGERIA: Women Giving Each Other a Hand Up
- When a kid's promises is usually try cutting cursory caused by his or her licensed situation
- Will Ferrell honored with Mark Twain humor award
- West easily could impose Libya no-fly zone
- Which he wasnrrrt mindful that which the hunt will not be zooming with Weekend beeing the Oireachtas wasnrrrt located.
- Jimi Hendrix estate against biopic
- the power to cause along with issue resolve within fresh scenarios
Submited at Friday, July 6th, 2012 at 11:00 pm on Politics by samantha
Comment RSS 2.0 - leave a comment - trackback